Sunday, October 4, 2009

2009 MN Bow Opener!

The 2009 MN Bow season started on Sept 20th for me because of an alarm clock issue and a high school soccer game on opening day. Had clear skies a light NW wind from 5-10 and temps in the low 60’s to start the season. Because of all the trail camera action I had, I decided to hunt my money stand. The wind wasn’t perfect for the stand but it would be ok.

I got about 10-15 yards from tree when a doe started blowing at me. It was still 35 minutes before light so I wasn’t spotted. The doe proceeded to walk around me for 5 minutes trying to figure out what she heard. The entire time she was blowing and stomping her feet, but she never spooked. I could hear her within 10 to 15 feet of me several times. Finally after her 20th blow I gave her a snort/weez to try and shut her up. This worked and she finally walked off to the Northeast. A great start to my season.

Once I got into my stand I had action almost all morning long. Twice I had young does at the base of my tree and I actually came to full draw on the second doe. I had her at 15 yards but it was to dark to make out any definition on her body so I passed the shot. I had a third doe walk in on my and then straight away, never once offering a shooting angle. Around 8:30 AM I had a 2 ½ year old 8 pt come in to 30 yards. The buck offered me a nice shot but it was opening day and I had pictures of much better deer. Below is a photo of the 8 pt I let walk.

After spending the afternoon and the lake place I returned to the woods for the evening hunt. The temp was in the low 70’s but the wind was humming at 15-20 mph from the east. My money stand should have been perfect, but once I climbed up I quickly realized the wind was swirling in the woods. I got down and moved to my field for the evening. Nothing moved all night but as soon as I took one step onto the field I had a doe and two younglings starring at me from the southeast corner of the field. I dropped down and watched them for about 10 minutes. At one point a young one started to run towards me but the mature doe quickly stopped that action and retreated the whole crew into the woods. A kick to the balls on the way to the stand and on the way out. Nice start to my season.

No comments: