Tuesday, September 11, 2012

KS Doves

9/6/12 -  I headed over to Topeka, Kansas to get the fall 2012 hunting season started last week. Nick Bales and I planned to hunt doves around the T-town area for a few days to warm up for the upcoming MN duck/goose hunt in early October.

Nick had done okay throughout the week and was seeing more bird movement in the evenings. This was my first official dove hunt, so I was pretty excited to give it a shake. We setup looking over a cut sunflower field and the action started almost immediately. I had two doves work in and dropped a double on my first two shots...Nick was impressed! The action on the first evening was steady and we ended up with 7 doves total. Nick made one of the more impressive shots I've seen, when he dropped a bird at +60yrds; it made my 50 yarder look easy.

The action the next morning was pretty slow, but that might have had more to do with Nick's birthday celebration the previous night. We managed to knock down four more birds over a couple hours and then headed to one of Nick's deer properties to set up a youth blind.

It was fun shooting and I'm planning to do a lot more of it in the coming years, thanks again Nick!

No comments: