Monday, February 23, 2009

1st Shed Hunt of 2009


2/21/09 - I headed out to the BS70 & BS155 farms to look for sheds. I started out on the BS70 farm and walked the north fence and then headed south down the east field edge. I didn't make it all the way into the cedar trees, because of the stiff wind and cold temps. After about an hour of looking I spotted my first shed along the east field edge. It's the right side of a decent 8. Should be a good deer this fall.

I spent about 20 minutes looking for the other side, but to no avail. I need to get back and walk the remaining field edges and kick through the cedar thicket.

After I finished on the BS70 farm I headed across the road to the west side of the BS155 farm. I walked down the field break and headed south along the creek bottom. I didn't locate any sheds, but I need a 2nd person to cover the area completely. I did kick up about 35 turkeys near the NW pond. After making to the south property line I cut back east and walked through the top end of the field. I had a woodchuck stalking me for about 5 minutes, before he finally went about his own business. I thought I was going to have to defend my self twice, because the chuck looked like he wanted to charge. After finishing our brief standoff I headed over towards the dried east pond. As soon as I crested the pond dam I spotted an antler in the dried mud, as I worked towards that shed I spotted another antler about 15 yards away in some mud and grass.




It was a pretty good start to the shed hunting season. I'm going to try and get back out to both farms this weekend. hopefully it will be warmer with less wind.

No comments: