Wednesday, January 13, 2010

MO Canadians

The huge flock of canadian geese that Brian and I hunted earlier in the week, were still using the same roost pond and fields that we have permission to hunt. So we decided to get back after them again Sunday morning, only this time we brought some recruits...

Brian, Randy (Brian's neighbor), and I were at the Cedar Tree with decoys setup by7am. Now all we had to do was wait on the birds to start record cold temperatures (-14 in the rig when we arrived w/o windchill). Luckly it didn't take long for th eaction to start. Around 7:40am we heard a single honk to the east and the first bird of the day was coming over the far treeline. I had the first shot, but I'd told Brian and Randy to be ready incase my gun didn'y cycle. It was a touch cold for the autoloaders! The single skirted the outside edge of the set and I missed shot #1, and of course  round #2 didn't cycle. Brian and Randy proceeded to each fire off a couple shots without scratching a feather either. Not the start we wanted.

It didn't take ten minutes before we had the next birds spotted on the horizion. The pair of honkers couldn't resist the decoy spread and calling. They came straight into our setup and in quick order I had my limit on the ground. It was the first double I've had on geese in about 5 years. With me limited out we called Linn and he was ready to be picked up. I left to get him while Brian and Randy stayed behind to protect the spread.

As Linn and I pulled back into the field we watched them shoot the last bird for both of their limits, so appearently the action heated up while I was gone. Linn  quickly sorted out his gear and we headed off across the field to the killing spot. Geese started pouring into the field in groups of 2-10 and it only took about 10 minutes for Linn to kill his limit also, I don't even think he had a chance to get cold from the below zero temperautres.

As we were picking up the decoys we literally had birds landing in the spread. It was good that we shot our limits and got out, so the main group of birds could use the field all day undisturbed. We've been checking on them this week and they are still using the field, so hopefully Saturday morning will find Brian and me tucked under the Cedar again, shooting another limit of MO Canadians...  

No comments: